Thursday, 2 August 2018

Lesson - 15: Come/be close to (doing) sth

Come/be close to (doing) sth = কোনোকিছু (করার) কাছাকাছি/নিকটে আসা বা থাকা; প্রায় কোনোকিছু (করার) পর্যায়ে যাওয়া [to almost reach or do something]
1. And this night, he comes close to getting seriously injured. (এবং এই রাতে সে প্রায় মারাত্মকভাবে আহত হওয়ার পর্যায়ে গিয়েছিল।)
2. Hasan wanted to trust Arif; he came close to letting everything spill out. (হাসান আরিফকে বিশ্বাস করতে চেয়েছিল; সে পেটের সব কিছু প্রায় বের করে দিয়েছিল।)
3. We are close to achieving our goals, but be that as it may, we still have problems that must be solved. (আমরা আমাদের লক্ষ্যগুলো অর্জনের কাছাকাছি, কিন্তু তা সত্ত্বেও এখনো আমাদের সমস্যা আছে যেগুলো মেটাতে হবে।) [be that as it may = তা সত্ত্বেও]
4. We didn't win but we came close. (আমরা জিতিনি কিন্তু কাছাকাছি এসেছিলাম।)
5. I went so mad (that) I came close to hitting her. (আমি এতটাই ক্ষেপে গিয়েছিলাম যে আমি তাকে মারার পর্যায়ে গিয়েছিলাম।)

Exercise: Translate into Bangla.
1. I came close to giving up smoking several times.
2. She came so close to the finals she must have been bitterly disappointed to go out now.

No comments:

Post a Comment