Saturday, 1 December 2018

Lesson - 26: a. Nothing of the kind/sort || b. Something of the/that kind

a. Nothing of the kind/sort = ওরকম কিছুই না [দৃঢ়ভাবে বা রাগান্বিতভাবে এটা বলা হয়।] [used to emphasize that the situation is very different from what has been said]
Examples:
1. It is nothing of the kind. (এটা ওরকম কিছুই না।)
2. I expected her to look annoyed but she did nothing of the sort. (আমি ধরে নিয়েছিলাম সে রেগে যাবে, কিন্তু সে ওরকম কিছুই করেনি।)
3. But nothing of the sort happens. (আরে ওরকম কিছু হয় না/ঘটে না।)
4. "I was terrible." "You were nothing of the kind." ("আমি ভয়ঙ্কর (=বাজে) ছিলাম।" (অর্থাৎ আমার অবস্থা বাজে ছিল।) "ওরকম কিছু হয়নি তোমার।")
b. Something of the/that kind = ওরকম কিছু একটা; খানিকটা সেরকমই [something like what has been said]
Examples:
1. "He's resigning." "I'd suspected something of the kind." ("সে পদত্যাগ করতেছে।" "আমি খানিকটা সেরকমই আশঙ্কা করেছিলাম।")
2. When something of that kind comes on to the market, it creates a storm. (যখন ওরকম কিছু একটা মার্কেটে আসে, সেটা আলোড়ন সৃষ্টি করে।)

No comments:

Post a Comment